Seal Colony ECO Tour
Seal Colony ECO Tour
Duration: 4-5 hrs. Distance: +/- 8nm. Group Size: 6-12. Guided: Yes. Guide Ratio: 4:1. Incl: Kayak, paddle & buoyancy aid. Skills: Beginner. Fitness: Basic to Mid. Age: 16+
Visit a wild Seal Colony by kayak!
A guided trip with stable kayaks to a wild seal colony over 3 to 5 hours (including rest stop).
Kayaks are low impact & friendly to wildlife.
- No engine noise.
- No water pollution.
- Quietest & gentlest way to get close to wild mammals.
- Interaction Policy is in place which minimises any stress on the animals (or paddlers). *See note at bottom of page.
- Our fleet of sit-on-top kayaks are high quality & stable.
- We have 100% safety track record over 18 years!
- British Canoe & I.S.K.G.A trained & qualified, full time guides.
- The price you see is what you pay, no hidden costs.
- Everything you need to enjoy this experience is provided.
- Bring a packed lunch, snacks & drinks.
Award Winning Guides
- Our guide team has been recognised as highly commended.
- Amongst the most experienced guides in the U.K with 18 years of full time guiding experience on the sea globally.
Options at your Discretion
- Select a different type of kayak to suit your needs.
- Ensure your valuables remain dry & secure with our optional Peli box range for hire or purchase.
- You can even opt for insurance that provides extra optional dates in case of unforeseen bad weather.
- You can use your own kayak & equipment if you choose to.
Recommended Activity by the Mental Health Foundation
- See Thriving with Nature Guide.
- Tranquility & beauty.
- Open space & time with yourself
- Make new friends, make new memories.
- The only kayak trip of its kind on the east coast of England.
- Great exercise for core (abdominals, obliques & torso muscles).
- Fresh air, sunshine, wind, salt water!
- Learn facts about our Grey & Harbour seals & enjoy their inquisitive behaviour without presenting a threat.
- Experience wildlife in their natural habitat.
Offset your Carbon Footprint
- You can offset your personal carbon footprint for this event with a click of your mouse.
- You can even donate a tree sapling or hedging & visit your growing tree in years to come.
This is a one-off trip that you'll find difficult to impossible to do on your own due to the distance, strong tidal flows & topography. A most memorable experience & once in a lifetime!
*We don’t divulge the exact whereabouts of the colony for obvious reasons & we maintain a strict Interaction policy, which means the seals approach us, we don't approach them. This minimises their stress. This policy has been in place for the past fourteen years of our operations.
Would you like to paddle as much as you like & as often as you want? Take a look at our Membership
July 10th 2021
July 10th 2021
July 10th 2021
May 29th 2021
The communication was good, great kayaks and seeing the seals was a real highlight. The trip itself was not what I expected. On the homepage, it says that no previous experience is necessary and that participants don’t even have to know how to swim. We spend more than three hours in rough seas with strong winds and the current constantly pulling. In my opinion, this is definitely no trip for beginners. We struggled to keep up the pace and later heard that another member of our group had to rest on a beach midway because they were so exhausted. The guides were nice and helpful but expected the group to keep up with their pace. Overall a good trip for experienced Kayakers but not suitable for beginners.
This is our longest trip, some 8-9 nautical miles in total with anything from 3-5 hours on the water. I can confirm that no particular skills are needed for this trip & there is a ratio of 5:1 guests to (full time) Guides so it is indeed appropriate for beginners. The pace is determined by the tide & when it turns to ebb. Sea conditions are changeable due to turning tides & changeable weather & the latter is outside of our control. I remember that you both finished just fine on the day with big smiles & we appreciate you taking the time to feedback. P.S. It's kayaking, no swimming required.
West End Lane Car Park, Dovercourt, CO12 3FA
6th April 2024, 9:15 AM
Sit-on-top kayak, paddle & buoyancy aid included.
Pay and display.
Please bring along extra warm clothing, hat, gloves et cetera, whatever you need to stay warm. In very hot weather please bring a sun hat, sun cream, sunglasses. We recommend leaving your electronics onshore unless it is waterproofed and secured. The more expensive the item, the quicker it sinks!! We offer Peli waterproof hard cases for rent that will guarantee they do not get wet or damaged. Please select your Peli waterproof box when placing your booking.
NOTE: This is a wild seal colony & as such can be difficult to reach due to tides, weather or group ability. N.S.K. cannot guarantee that we will reach the seal colony at every event. The Lead Guide may, at his/her discretion, make adjustments to the route &/or distance in the interest of safety & to provide the best possible experience for the guests. This is at the discretion of the Lead Guide responsible for the event.
Sixteen years of age and over.